Wednesday, July 2, 2014

"Wuzhen Street 2 (Day 3)"

I have mentioned that I am doing 3 paintings together for my current project. I placed the first one on the back burner, which is my living room. I can see it often when I am not in my studio. The problems will pop up themselves if I display it in front of me long enough, the painting will nag me to fix its problems, then I will take action. Now I am working on the second painting. Its composition and color scheme is very similar to the first one. So painting the second one will help me to establish a systematic procedure to generate this kind of paintings (sounds pretty bad, doesn't it? It seems I am establishing a production line). If I say my first painting is R&D, my second painting is engineering. Please do not tell me that artists only used only the right brain. To be balanced is the key of doing anything well.

4 comments:

Candi said...

Your work is always exquisite. Love this new direction for you. The beautiful abstract shapes and thoughtful value and color choices … such an interesting progression from your still lifes. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Anonymous said...

Engineers are not necessarily good artists, but artists need engineering skills to plan and execute a picture that appeals. Don't forget having a business sense. Skills in R&D, engineering and finally marketing PLUS good teaching techniques make for the perfect art career.

Beth Bathe said...

Qiang, I think your plan of stepping back and taking a break from these paintings for a day, always brings fresh eyes when you view it again.
I love the composition of this one, the right side in shadow is just right. The left side with the bright highlighted rectangle areas might need a little more, you have the details of the electrical wires (love) Maybe just a bit more "texture" on the left highlights. But, even if you didn't change a thing, these are a lovely grouping of paintings, I really love your landscapes.

Beth Bathe said...

Qiang, my previous comment was for the street #3 painting not this one, sorry, posted on wrong painting